In this blog I’m going to tell you all about diets and why sometimes they can be worse for you in the long run. I’m going to be comparing losing weight to making money to try and simplify things. To achieve this, we need to answer some simple diet questions first.
What’s a calorie?
A calorie is a unit of energy. Everyday our bodies use calories for energy, and the food we eat is giving us energy.
Think of calories like money, every day you make a certain amount of money. If at the end of the day you have saved more money then what you have spent, you will have saved money! If you spend more then you make… you go into debt. Debt in this scenario is FAT.
This is the fundamental principle for ALL diets that aim for fat loss. The only way to burn fat, is to save your money and eat less!
Does that mean all I have to do is count calories!?
NO! Food labels and descriptions of the food you’re eating can be up to 50% wrong… so you can’t always count the calories that you’re eating. Later on in the blog I will explain how to accurately decrease your calories so that you will lose weight.
If you have to eat less calories to lose weight, and I’m not counting my calories… How can I lose weight!?
To make sure that you are eating less calories, its simple. Eat less food! Keep reading and there will be some practical solutions for you at the end of the blog.
What is the best diet to lose weight?
To answer that question let me ask you one, what is the best way to make money? Hmm there are a lot of ways to make money isn’t there! Fat loss is just the same. There are many diets that might work for you! The best question to ask yourself is “how sustainable is this?”. If you decide that to lose weight you’re going to only eat once a day, then ask yourself. Can I do this for the rest of my life?
In simple terms, the best diet is the one that you will be consistent with and something you can sustain. Diets array from vegan, vegetarian, paleo, keto to carnivorous. And all-inclusive flexible dieting approach “if it fits your macros” (IIFYM).
All of these diets will work and make you lose fat. 6 out of 7 people who start a diet lose weight but more than 90% of those people will put it all back on within 3 years.
What is the point of starting a diet if you’re just going to end up where you started…
Now with those questions answered- Let me answer the most important question of all.
How do I lose fat and keep it off forever!?
For any goal that you want to achieve, you will need to develop habits and behaviors that align with what you’re trying to achieve. For example, if I want to win the Tour De France, then I better make riding a bike a habit for me.
If you want to lose weight and keep it off forever… then you better make these things a habit or you will be running around like a hamster in a wheel. Before we get into the tips, you should know that losing fat and keeping it off isn’t going to be easy. At some times you will want to eat ice cream, you will want to order UberEats… You will want to skip your vegetables…. The more you have the harder it is to maintain (just like money!)
- Plan your food and STICK TO IT. If you don’t plan, you’re planning to fail. This will keep you on track and disciplined. Set a 6-month goal that is scary but achievable, then every day/week do ONE THING that moves you closer to that big goal.
- Meal prep! This doesn’t have to be 20 Tupperware containers of chicken and broccoli. It just needs to be food that you enjoy and will give you some consistency.
- Restriction! Restrict your food choices/eating times/meal frequency/portion sizes
- Measure as much as you can! Your body weight every morning, your food, sleep, mood, digestion etc. If you can’t measure it then you can’t progress at it!
- Eat a good amount of protein (1.5-2g per KG) and vegetables. This will keep you feeling fuller for longer.
- Drink lots of water! Body weight in kilos to ounces, ideally body weight in pounds to ounces
- Increase your physical activity! Take the stairs, park your car further away, add in an extra cardio session at the gym
- Do weight training! Weight training will build muscle, the more muscle you have then the more calories you will burn!
- Stress less! When your body is in a stressed state, your nervous system will want to preserve your fat (because energy is fat) and your body needs energy to escape danger!
- Avoid distractions! Take control over your monkey mind. Your monkey mind is going to tell you to eat that muffin. If you take control of your monkey mind then you will take control over the goal that you want to achieve. Meditate! Meditation is will also help with stress!
In conclusion, there is no magic pill or magic diet that is going to make you look like an Instagram model overnight. Just like building a successful business that generates a lot of money, you will need to put the time and effort into developing those habits to help you lose fat and keep it off forever!
Losing weight is a side effect of being healthy! Develop habits that will create a healthier lifestyle which is sustainable for the rest of your life!
Here is the full seminar on how to lose weight and keep it off forever!
• INSTAGRAM https://www.instagram.com/mitchping
• YOUTUBE https://www.youtube.com/fitmitchping
• TWITTER https://twitter.com/mitch_ping
• FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/fitmitchping
• WEBSITE BLOG https://www.mitchping.com/blog
• PODCAST https://anchor.fm/mitch-ping/